Zoo Veterinarian / Director of Animal Health and Nutrition
Zoo Veterinarian / Director of Animal Health and Nutrition Position Open: Our client in Ohio, is a highly regarded Zoo and is seeking a Director of Animal Health and Nutrition. The Zoo provides the opportunity for a veterinarian to work with exotic animals. In addition, the Zoo is a staple in the community and offers many programs to support the community with the partnerships they have. The culture is very solid. In the Animal Health and Nutrition department specifically, there is a very competent staff who focuses on the care of the animals.
The Zoo Veterinarian supervises the Animal Health and Nutrition Department staff which includes associate veterinarians, veterinary technicians, commissary staff, hospital keeper, administrative assistant, students and volunteers. This position reports to the Assistant Director of Animal Programs. This position is exempt under the Fair Labor Standards Act and requires time worked in excess of forty hours per week. The position does not require any travel. Our ideal candidate would be someone who is comfortable with being autonomous and direct in his or her communication style. They should be approachable and open, while working to accomplish a variety of tasks in an efficient manner. The candidate must be very organized and ready to hold people accountable as needed. For this position, we want to make sure we find someone that is a certified veterinarian, but also has the ability to manage the vet hospital administrative functions and team.
Duties & Responsibilities:Some of the essential job functions include:
- Plans, manages, directs, and coordinates departmental activities and programs.
- Performs supervisory duties such as instructing; assigning, reviewing and planning work of others; maintaining standards; coordinating activities; acting on employee problems; allocating personnel; selecting new employees and recommending transfers/promotions, disciplinary actions and discharges
- Manages and supervises the medical and surgical care of all animals for the Zoo. Performs medical and surgical care of all animals for the Zoo which involves vaccinating and disbursing preventive medication, performing clinical pathology examinations, using diagnostic tools, performing animal surgery, and performing necropsies
- Serves as the Zoo’s attending veterinarian for the USDA Exhibitor’s License.
- Evaluates nutrition programs and diet formulations with Curators.
- Provides input to Curators and keepers on animal husbandry protocols. Develops emergency animal protocols with Curators and Assistant Director of Safety.
- Oversees the programming and mentoring of the veterinary and pre-veterinary students.
- Consults with outside veterinarians and human physicians in order to remain abreast of current issues and medical programs.
Additional job functions include:
Provides general maintenance of hospital building, facilities and equipment. Assists in the design of exhibits. Performs other related duties as required.
Doctoral degree in Veterinary medicine and five years of experience in the Zoo veterinary field. Must be able to obtain a State of Ohio Veterinary License, USDA Veterinary accreditation and a U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) License. Must have a valid drivers’ license and be insurable by the fleet insurance carrier.Compensation & Other Benefits:Basic salary (depends upon experience). Medical, Prescription, Vision and Dental Benefit, Short and Long-Term Disability Plan, Life Insurance, Pension Plan, Vacation, Education Assistance, etc.! Relocation available for right candidate
To be immediately considered for this zoo veterinarian job opportunity, please apply here:Apply Now