Every organization that has a job opening to fill is looking to hire the best candidate possible for the position. In many instances, company officials have an idea of exactly the type of candidate they want, especially if the position is an important and/or high-profile position.
Now it’s true that sometimes organizations can find the type of talent they’re seeking on their own. They post the opening online using a job board, and the right candidate applies for the opening.
However, that’s not always the case. In fact, it’s not the case much of the time.
That presents a problem because the longer an important, high-profile position stays open, the more costly the open position becomes. There’s the time, energy, and effort expended to hire a candidate, plus there’s the productivity lost because the position isn’t filled.
So—what do you do if you can’t find the candidate you need to hire? (Not just want to hire, but need to hire.)
You enlist the services of an executive search firm, and below are five reasons why you should do so:
- The candidate you don’t just want, but need to hire is not looking for a new job. In fact, they could be quite content where they’re currently employed.
- Executive search consultants talk with candidates in the marketplace every day, including top candidates. As a result, they’re able to quickly identify candidates who would be a good fit for the position.
- Search consultants have extensive experience dealing with candidates, especially superstar candidates who typically have plenty of options when it comes to their career. They know how to handle these candidates when approaching them with a new opportunity.
- A recruiter’s specialty is . . . recruiting. That makes sense, but for many organizations, recruiting is not their number-one priority. However, the recruiting skill set is crucial when attempting to hire the best candidates, because they are not going to be automatically interested just because a company is hiring. They need to be “sold” on both the opportunity and the company, once again because they have options.
- When you don’t enlist the services of a recruiter, the overall quality of your candidate pool decreases. There’s almost no way around this. It’s a matter of math and numbers. If a search consultant can identify and contact a greater number of top candidates than a company can identify and contact, then the quality of their candidate pool is bound to be greater.
Executive search consultants specialize in finding and recruiting candidates that organizations can NOT find and recruit on their own. This is the value that recruiters provide.
Some positions you can fill on your own, but there are other positions that are more difficult to fill, and these are the positions you must fill with the best candidates possible. Besides, if you’re not trying to hire the best candidates, then it’s a good bet your competition is attempting to do so.
The best time to build a relationship with a skilled search firm is before you need to hire one. Even if you don’t have a current need, they can make you aware of top talent in the marketplace, candidates who could immediately add value to your organization.
In fact, companies often create jobs in order to hire the best people away from their competition. Wouldn’t you like to hire an impact player who could immediately make or save your organization money?
We help support careers in one of two ways: 1. By helping to find the right opportunity when the time is right, and 2. By helping to recruit top talent for the critical needs of organizations. If this is something you would like to explore further, please send an email to email@example.com.