Medical Director – Palm Springs, CA
Medical Director Palm Springs, CA. The Medical Director Palm Springs will provide leadership and medical care to all animals in the Animal Shelter network, including at the shelter, in foster care, at adoption sites and animals at vaccine clinics. Great opportunity to work towards the no-kill mission and make a difference in a resort location. Standard hours are 5 days at 8 hours or 4 days at 10 hours.
- Develops policies and procedures for the medical department; recommends changes in procedures as needed
- Performs in-house animal health inspections with shelter staff.
- Provides preventative treatments for infections, disease prevention and control, general health, parasite diagnosis and treatment and dietary evaluations
- Examines animals, evaluates animals’ health and performs veterinary medical and surgical procedures including vaccinations, prescribing and administering of medications, anti-parasite treatments, tests and lab work for infections and related health issues.
- Performs spay and neuter surgeries in a high-volume clinic and other types of surgery, as needed.
- Establishes and maintains medical records and drug use logs to standards of veterinary and sheltering practices.
- Ensures that all state and federal laws, state regulations, accepted standards, the practice of veterinary medicine, drug control, and animal care and handling are adhered to.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of shelter animal health protocols, surgical procedures (including dog, cat and small mammal ovariohysterectomy and castration and dental preventative care) and other companion animal health issues.
- Performs and oversees euthanasia according to established protocols.
A typical day will include updates with the lead RVT and shelter operations director, rounds to ensure the health and well-being of the shelter pets, 5-10 spay neuter surgeries, and intake exams of 5-10 pets per day. A typical week could include 5-10 dental surgeries, 3-5 other miscellaneous minor surgeries, a staff meeting, a medical team meeting, 10-15 health certificates for pets scheduled for transport to rescue partners, oversite of the weekly public vaccine clinic, and consultation with the shelter’s high volume spay/neuter community cat program contract veterinarian(s).
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree (or equivalent) from an accredited college or university and three years of professional veterinary medical experience
- Licensed to practice veterinary medicine in the state of California.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain DEA license.
- Knowledge of City, County, State and Federal animal health laws.
- Excellent organizational, written and verbal communications skills, including ability to communicate effectively with all levels of management, employees, key partners, volunteers and the public.
- Federal USDA Level 2 Accreditation Required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and safe driving record
- Acquire and possess a thorough understanding of and dedication to the philosophies of• animal welfare and the mission of FPSAS
- Ability to professionally advocate that mission• and the organization’s position on issues.
Compensation & Benefits:
Excellent Base Salary (depends on experience).
Medical insurance, relocation bonus and benefits include health, dental, 3 weeks paid vacation, 5 sick days, up to $3000 CE allowance
To learn more and/or apply for this exciting Medical Director opportunity in Palm Springs, CA opportunity, please apply here:Apply Now